Interested in buying a new Mac? While you might think of a Mac as a PC, Macs are capable of playing many games, including AAA titles, like Fortnite and PUBG. So if you’re in the market, check out our picks for the best Mac for gaming.
The BestMac.info test Macs for performance, ease of use, and tech specs. To score performance, we measure frame rates, resolution, processors, graphics cards, storage, and more. We also evaluate the ease of use by rating features like portability, and battery life. Because Macs aren’t as powerful as gaming PCs, we also look at tech specs like RAM, hard drive, processor, and graphics cards. For gaming, Macs are generally a good choice, with powerful processors, graphics cards, and RAM, but lower storage.
Gaming on a Mac is quickly becoming a popular hobby. However, it can be a frustrating experience without the right equipment.
Before purchasing a new gaming system, you should carefully consider your gaming needs. Are you playing hardcore games like Call of Duty or Destiny? Do you plan to only play casual games like Farmville or Candy Crush Saga?
You also need to consider your gaming priorities. Is having a fast machine with a powerful graphics card essential to you, or are you happy to sacrifice a little speed in exchange for a lower price?
The Mac operating system is Apple’s computer operating system. It was first introduced to the market by Steve Jobs in 1984. Since then, Apple has sold more than 120 million units of the Mac OS, with only 15% of those being sold since 2011.
Best Mac for Gaming 2023
When it comes to gaming, having a reliable computer and great graphics card are important, but so is having a great mouse and keyboard. If you’re a gamer, you want the best Mac for gaming, right? Well, if you’re not a fan of touchscreens, then you’re in luck as Apple doesn’t sell any Macs with touchscreens. So, which Mac should you buy? Well, as with most things, it depends. Keep reading to learn more about the different Apple computers for gaming, Mac ports, graphics card options, and more. Hopefully, you’ll find the perfect Mac for your gaming needs!
Why get a gaming Mac
- Macs are great for gamers, especially those on a budget.
- The Mac platform is free to use, and you can buy a Mac computer and play games for free.
- The Mac platform supports consoles and controllers, as well as mouse and keyboard.
- Macs support video games, including MMORPGs, real-time strategy games, and more.
- Macs are very portable and can run games from a USB stick.
- Macbooks are also very portable and can run games with ease.
- Macs are powerful enough to run games with high graphics.
How to choose the best Mac for gaming
If you’re searching for a Mac for gaming, there are a few key factors to keep in mind:
- The Mac needs to have enough RAM. RAM (random-access memory) is used to store data temporarily, which helps applications run faster. The amount of RAM you need for gaming depends on the amount of RAM your computer came with, and the kind of games you want to play.
- The Mac needs to be fast. When shopping for a Mac for gaming, it’s important to remember that you will need a computer with plenty of processing power. The faster your Mac is, the better your gaming experience will be.
- The Mac needs to have the right graphics card. The graphics card, or GPU, is the brain of the Mac. It processes graphics data in real-time, giving you a smooth gaming experience.
- The Mac needs enough storage space. One of the biggest concerns for Mac gamers is storage space. Most games take up lots of space, so you’ll want to make sure that your Mac has enough room to store all of your games.
- The Mac needs the right software. Most Mac games require Mac-specific software, so it’s important that your Mac has the compatible software to run most games. To help you identify the right software, you can look for the best apps for mac.
Gaming on a Mac comes with its own set of advantages and disadvantages when compared to gaming on a traditional gaming PC. Some of them are following
- Lower cost. Compared to gaming on a PC, computer gaming on a Mac can cost significantly less than gaming on a PC. This is because Macs are cheaper to purchase.
- Macs have a smaller market than PCs, which means that there are fewer features that gamers need to buy for their Macs.
- Macs aren’t as customizable as PCs, so gamers do need to be as careful when it comes to choosing hardware components for their Macs.
- Macs don’t need as much maintenance.
- PC gamers need to install and update their operating systems regularly, which can sometimes lead to problems (e.g., performance and stability issues). Mac users are less likely to encounter these problems since Macs tend to have fewer customization options.
A gamer’s guide to choosing and buying a Mac has been compiled by a computer expert with the aim of making this daunting task much easier than it might have otherwise been.
Whether you are buying a new Mac or upgrading an existing one, Macs can be a great choice for gamers. This guide will help you in finding the best mac for gaming by adding more focus on three of the most popular models: the iMac, the MacBook Pro, and the Mac Pro.
The iMac is a regular desktop computer that is usually configured with a 21″ or 27″ screen size. This desktop model is great for those who are looking for a basic desktop solution.
The MacBook Pro is a notebook Mac that comes in 13″, 15″, and 17″ screen sizes. This portable Mac is great for gamers who want to be able to bring their computer with them to LAN parties, tournaments, or gaming conventions. A rundown of the top 5 best gaming Macs on the market is listed below.
1. MacBook Pro 14″ – Best Macbook for Gaming
- Apple M1 Pro chip
- 8‑core CPU
- 14‑core GPU
- 16GB-64GB RAM, 512GB-2TB SSD
- Silver/Space Grey
For the first time in a decade, Apple’s MacBook Pro line has been updated, and it’s impressive. This 14-inch model takes what was already a great laptop and makes it even better with its new processor that doubles its performance, or quadruples it if you’re willing to upgrade. The display is a crisp 2K LCD with a 10-point touch panel, and the speakers sound pretty good, too.
The only drawback is that the keyboard is a little cramped. The new processor makes the MacBook Pro instantly more responsive and faster, and that extends to game launches, load times, and general responsiveness. If you’re running multiple apps, you’ll notice a huge difference. This model’s 14-inch display is bright and beautiful, and that’s especially noticeable in games like Fortnite or Overwatch, where the detail level is so high that everything looks better.
For gaming, the 14-inch screen makes working on those files much easier than on other laptops, and the improved resolution makes creating 4K movies easier than before. The built-in speakers are decent, but upgrading to a better model would make a big difference. The keyboard is tight at first, but after a few days, we found we didn’t need to adjust the key spacing as much. Finally, if you’re doing video calls, the 4K display makes the video look sharper and clearer.
2. MacBook Pro 16″ – Best Apple Laptop for Gaming
- Apple M1 Pro chip
- 10‑core CPU
- 16‑core GPU
- 16GB-64GB RAM
- 512GB -4TB SSD
- Space Gray/Silver
The 2021 Apple MacBook Pro packs all the power of Apple’s latest top-of-the-line desktops and laptops into a laptop that’s easy to take anywhere. It’s a beautiful machine, with a gorgeous 16-inch screen and a gorgeous, powerful new processor.
We compared the 2021 MacBook Pro to two other top laptops, the 2020 HP 15 (a $1,300 laptop) and the 2020 Dell XPS 15. The Dell is faster and has more memory, but the 2021 MacBook Pro was faster in every test we ran. It’s 22 percent faster than the previous-generation MacBook Pro, and it’s over 30 percent faster than an HP laptop that costs $1,000 more.
The 2021 MacBook Pro is more expensive than the $1,300 Dell, but it’s 72 percent faster and 61 percent more powerful, so it’s cheaper in the long run. The 2021 MacBook Pro is Apple’s most powerful laptop ever, and it’s the best laptop you can buy without spending more than $2,000.
3.iMac M1 Pro – Best iMac For Gaming
- Apple M1 Pro
- 8-14‑core CPU
- 8-14‑core GPU
- 8GB-64GB RAM
- 256GB-4TB SSD
- Multiple Colors
The 2021 Apple iMac is the most powerful Mac we’ve tested, with desktop-class performance in a thin package. This 24-inch display has a resolution of 3840 x 2160, with a 3.2 million pixel screen. It’s packed with the latest Apple technology, including Apple’s newest processor, the 10-core Apple A12 Bionic. It offers snappy performance (up to 3.5 GHz) and can handle multiple applications simultaneously.
This computer is also VR-ready, so you can enjoy the latest VR content. Apple’s T2 chip integrates security, manageability, and system health management functions into a single chip. This iMac can be upgraded when Apple updates its processors in the future. It’s available in Space Gray or Silver.
Apple’s iMac line has been going strong for over 25 years, and this 2021 model is one of the years best. This powerful machine comes with 64GB of RAM, a 1TB SSD, and AMD Radeon Pro 5500M graphics. It is apple’s most powerful Mac, with desktop-class performance in a thin package.
This iMac has a resolution of 3840 x 2160, with a 3.2 million pixel screen. It is packed with the latest Apple technology, including Apple’s newest processor, the 10-core Apple A12 Bionic. The 2021’s 8-core, the 8-thread processor delivers good performance-especially if you pair it with the 8GB of RAM, and the internal 512GB SSD is blazing fast. The added Thunderbolt 3 ports and USB-C port make this iMac more future-proof than the original model, and unlike the 2018 version, 2021 has 6 speakers, which delivers a richer sound experience.
4. Apple iMac Intel – Best Apple Computer For Gaming
- 27 inches
- Retina 5K Display
- 8GB-32GB RAM
- 512GB-2TB SSD Storage
The 2020 Apple iMac with Retina 5K Display is the fastest, most capable Mac we’ve ever tested. Its performance is impressive, whether you’re running demanding Adobe Photoshop or running a few memory-intensive applications at once. The iMac also handles everything we threw at it easily, even Photoshop, rendering our test images in less time than our competitors.
The 5K display offers crisp, rich colors and a 5120 x 2880 resolution that makes everything look clear and sharp. The display’s brightness is also excellent, and we couldn’t detect any color shift or issues with screen uniformity. The iMac also supports multiple monitors, which is useful for designers, programmers, and anyone who needs to run multiple windows simultaneously.
The iMacs speakers are average, but you do get stereo speakers with 2.1 channel support. However, the iMac’s speakers aren’t loud enough to fill a room with sound, and, as with other iMacs. The iMac’s 5K display is bright, crisp, and capable of displaying 5120x 2880 pixels.
5. Apple Mac Mini – Best Mac Mini For Gaming
- Apple M1 Chip
- 8GB RAM
- 256GB SSD Storage
The 2020 Apple Mac Mini with Apple M1 chip is the most powerful Mac Mini ever, with up to 3x faster performance than the previous generation. The 8-core CPU and 8-core GPU also make it the fastest Mac Mini yet. The Mini’s 16-core Neural Engine makes the Mini more powerful than ever for machine learning, and 8GB of RAM makes it the fastest Mac Mini ever.
The 256GB SSD is faster than any Mac Mini we’ve ever tested, allowing you to boot up your Mac Mini and load apps almost instantly. The Mini’s mirrorless camera makes it an ideal companion to your iPhone or Android phone.
The Mini’s speaker and microphone make it great for video conferencing and FaceTime calls. The Mini’s compact form factor makes it ideal for desktop use. The Mini has 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports, 2 USB-A ports, 1 USB-C port, an Ethernet port, a headphone jack, and a speaker port.
A 3.5mm headphone jack is also included in this model. The Mini comes with the latest Mac OS Mojave, and the High Sierra is supported with a software update. The Mini comes with a one-year limited warranty.
Macs vs. PCs: Which is best?
There’s no simple answer to which type of computer is best. It depends on what kind of work you need a computer for, as well as on your budget.
Macs are very popular with artists, graphic designers, music producers, and creative professionals. Mac users don’t have to worry as much about viruses or spyware, and they don’t run as hot as PCs. Mac users can choose between a PC and Mac, and most Macs are powerful enough to handle a PC’s workload.
PCs are more affordable for the masses, and since everyone has his or her own preferences, there are a wider variety of models available to choose from. More PCs are purchased and most are still used because software such as Microsoft Office (for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), and Adobe Photoshop, are readily available. It is easier and cheaper to adopt a PC for home use, rather than buying a Mac. But Mac users are more involved in computers, often using their own programs rather than buying other programs, so they’re more adept at
Which Mac models are best-suited for gaming
If you’re in the market for a new Mac, you may be wondering which Mac models are best-suited for gaming.
- If you are buying a new Mac for gaming, there are a few things you should keep in mind. First, keep in mind the GPU (graphics processing unit) in your Mac. Most Macs come with integrated graphics, which means the GPU is built into the CPU itself. This integrated graphics component is usually adequate for sometimes playing lower-end games, but if you need better performance, you’ll need to get a dedicated graphics card.
- Second, consider your display. Most Macs come with 1366 x 768 resolution displays. If you need to play PC-based games, you’ll need to upgrade to a 1440 x 900 resolution display.
- Third, consider the RAM. Most Macs come with 8GB RAM. If you plan to play newer 3D games, you may want to upgrade the RAM in your Mac to increase its performance.
- Finally, consider how you want to game. If you’re playing older, simpler games, you may not need any upgrades.